Monday, August 20, 2007

Company Basketball Tournament

The basketball tournament has begun! The one sport that everyone loves in this vertically challenged country is basketball. Basically all of the mill workers come out to throw down their best basketball moves. If they don't play then they all watch. It's a good excuse to get some sort of a break from the double shift.

So I am on a team with only one guy who speaks English. So now I really get to practic mandarin and body language at the same time. There are some taller players, but they are few and far between. I feel like I am back in junior high school playing recreation b-ball. I rate the level of play a high school level at best. I am not complaining, it really works for me. Men play like boys and funny enough the sound of long nails trying to claw at the ball is a regularity. Yep, many of the men have longer nails than I do.

The only bugbear I have is that females are not athletes in China and I fall into this category that girls can't really play sports...hmm. At least I feel this way..slowly I will prove them somewhat wrong. I mean, girls still sit side saddle on the back of motorbikes/bicycles/you name it...SO we are a long way away from tough and rough sports becoming more of a "ladies game."

2 comments:

btc said...

Go Estee! Just remember 1 thing - "SHOOT!" :) (3's preferably, ha!)

btc said...

oh, and that comment was from me - alison ;)