Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Chinese View on Eyelids and Noses

I have been enlightened by a couple of things just this week. Today, I learned that there are two different words for eyelids in Mandarin. You can actually have one or two eyelids. Since the almond shape eye is common the eyelid is used as the distinguishing factor rather than the shape of the eye. People say that having two eyelids can make a person more beautiful. I am now paying closer attention to differences in eyelids.

The whole nose topic has to really do with the old adage – you want what you can’t have. I learned that people get cosmetic surgery to make the bridge of the nose more prominent. And more than one person has complimented my nose for its beauty. HA! I think placing my nose and beauty in the same sentence is unheard of. I am always shocked when people say this to me in China. Alas, small people that appreciate a more prominent nose!

No comments: