Thursday, November 1, 2007

Japan: The Side Trip Part 1

Japan: The Side Trip - Part 1

If you happen to be on this side of the world, I recommend you pay a visit to Japan. Yes, there is a wonderful massive country to explore in China, but Japan is will be WELL worth the visit. Save up your pennies, yuan, euro's because you will probably spend it all and then some. The warning was made very clear to me that although Japan is a beautiful unique place, the country is dead expensive. Dead = more expensive than London, Oslo, NYC...I am guessing that is why it can make it to the top of the world's most expensive city every year.

Thanks to my friend Kay, we had a packed itinerary. When I touched down I can already feel a more civilized surrounding. Clean became an understatement when I travelled around. I was trying to look for a word after staying in Tokyo a couple of days and just basically said this: the place is kept so that anyone can pretty much walk barefoot in the city. I know the Japanese like to walk barefoot at home so I am guessing common practice should be try and walk barefoot everywhere.

Back to the itinerary topic. If I can give a piece of advice when visiting Japan, spend at least 2 weeks. I only had 10 days and packed as much as I could in. So here is the notorious checklist:

Kyoto - to get a feel for "old Japan"

Tokyo
Kibuki
Fish Market - fresh off the docks at 5am - Sushi for breakfast?
Roppongi Hills - a good view of Tokyo from the top
Harajuku - to see all of those outlandish teenagers all decked out and grab a crepe
Ginza
Shibuya

Kamakura and the coastline

Hakune - for the natural hot springs and view of Mt. Fuji

Thanks to my Japanese friends, I got a great taste of local cuisine, prayed to many buddhas, and got the scoop on cultural in's and outs. Many people will try to ask how China and Japan are different/similiar. I don't think even a blog can sort the differences out. I will keep my mouth shut on that topic and let you see for yourself!

No comments: