Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Evil Shanghai Markets

After 3 weeks of heading to the markets to do some last minute shopping, I have come to the conclusion that in Shanghai they are certainly evil. Thanks to the foreigner’s the prices even after bargaining are becoming a bit steep. For example, I went to one lady at a fake bag market and I have to say she has some really nice designer bags. Most of them are made with real leather but at a hefty price of $100! For me, that is a bit steep, but for others that take pride in their bag collections in might be OK. I just couldn’t bare to splurge at her shop.

The whole market experience is a hoot within itself. You have shopkeepers that have mastered a couple of English words including: HELLO LADY, JUST HAVE A
LOOK-A (the “a” needs to be placed on the end), or FRIEND COME IN, WATCH, BAG, DVD. As they are saying this they can start to pull on your arm or move into a defensive position blocking your walking path. It is also literally a shouting match between shopkeepers.

So with all of this in mind, I have to say that shopping a local Chinese shops is heaps better than the foreigner’s fake bag market. At least you walk out with some pretty good bags and no headache. It is just knowing the right friends to ask that know those shops.

1 comment:

Perfumes said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.