Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Gift Giving

Many Westerners are always perplexed on what, how, and when to give gifts in China. I just want to share with you…it’s still a mystery to me. All I know is that the Chinese basically are expert gift givers. There is usually a deeper meaning, even if it is a simple pen. My remaining week in China I was showered with many random gifts. My students, coworkers, company, and even friends found a way to surprise me. I received famous cookies for the Chinese city of Tianjin, a symbolic Chinese calligraphy painting, a Beijing opera mask letter opener, a Mickey necklace (too funny) and framed photos of a department trip I took last week. Craziness! Glad I bought an extra suitcase to lug everything back to the UK. When each person handed me the gift they had a good explanation for the gift, more than just a simple “Thanks.” I have to give the Chinese a big clap on this one!

No comments: